Thursday, October 9, 2008

The NRA... Remember Them?

One of my favorite issues that has fallen very far out of favor from the public discourse is gun control. I was a card-carrying member of the National Rifle Association for a year, although it was more a statement of principle than a sign of a fervent love for firearms, which I've used several times before, but never actually owned. I support the Second Amendment and think it's just as important (although not more important) as the First Amendment, but I'm much more reliant on the protections of the First in my day-to-day life.

In this election, if people were to make a ranked list of the issues that matter most to them, gun control would be at, or very near, the bottom of the list. (Think about it: people talk about affirmative action and the privatization of Social Security more than gun control these days.)

A lone voice in the wilderness, Richard Feldman has published a piece about the NRA and Obama.

No comments: